Young student dies of acute alcohol poisoning
A 18-year-old student of Senshu University from Tokyo visiting Okinawa died of acute alcohol poisoning, Wednesday.
The male student was staying at a bed and breakfast facility in Onna Village, and drank alcohol with friends from 11 p.m. Tuesday to 1 a.m. on Wednesday with his friends, and was later found dead.
Ishikawa Police nabbed a male and female friend of the student, both aged 19, who had been drinking together, on suspicion of delinquency. In Japan, persons under 20 are minors who are not allowed to buy or consume alcoholic drinks. Police are investigating how the two got alcohol, and the circumstances of the drinking party.
The male student reportedly came to Okinawa on Tuesday for sightseeing.
According to police, there were 10 male and female university students taking part in the party. The male student reportedly drank a lot of beer, wine, and shouchu within two hours, but no one had forced him to drink.
The male student went to bed afterwards, and another student noticed around 5 a.m. that he had stopped breathing, made an emergency call.
He was taken to a hospital, where was confirmed dead the same morning.