Custard Daifuku Mochi – custard rice cake (mochi)
Category: [ Cooking Recipe ]
To make 8 to 10 daifuku mochi
- 3.5 oz /100g sticky rice flour (shiratamako 白玉粉 or mochiko もち粉)
- 2/3 cup or 160ml water
- 1 to 2 oz sugar (adjust according to your preference)
- 6 tbs potato starch (katakuriko 片栗粉)
Custard filing from last recipe
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan using a whisk.
- Cook the mixture on a low heat. The mochi starts to become very sticky so mix it with a spatula.
- Cook until the mochi becomes a little transparent (not completely, but looks transparent compared to the beginning). Also, taste a bit to check it’s cooked well. If it tastes powdery, you need to cook longer.
- Place potato starch on a tray and spread it around. We use the starch to prevent sticky mochi sticking everywhere, including your fingers.
- Sprinkle the potato starch on the mochi dough and take 2 tablespoons-worth of the mochi dough.
- Flatten the dough on your palm and place 1/2 tablespoon custard filling in the middle.
- Wrap the dough around the filling and pinch the edges together to completely cover the filling. Place the mochi daifuku with the joints facing down.