Saba no tatsutaage – Deep-fried marinated mackerel
- 2 fillets of mackerel
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs sweet sake (みりんmirin)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 5 tbs potato starch (片栗粉katakuriko)
- 1 plastic bag
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Cut the mackerel fillets into 4 pieces ea. (8 pcs total)
- Place the pieces in a plastic bag with soy sauce, sweet sake, ginger and garlic.
- Marinate the mackerel for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Place potato starch in a bowl and coat the mackerel pieces with it.
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pot or small saucepan to about 365°F, and deep fry the mackerel.
Test the oil temperature by dropping a little flour in it. It should go down to the bottom of the pot and come up to the surface quickly without, or only a tiny bit, touching the bottom of the pot.
Website: okinawa-cooking.com Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao