Survey confirms majority of residents oppose Henoko plan
According to a survey, more than 58 percent of Okinawan residents oppose the relocation of the MCAS Futenma to Henoko. Results of the prefecture-commissioned survey were made public Thursday.
The survey was first-ever of its kind, and 58.2 percent of the respondents said they are against the plan, while less than half as many, or 25.5 percent, said they supported it. To the question, what to do about the Futenma base, 68.6 percent said they don’t want the air station to stay permanently where it is.
Referring to the results of the survey, Governor Takeshi Onaga commented that the results confirm his policy priorities of demanding the MCAS to be moved out of the prefecture and not allowing construction of the Henoko replacement facility are correct, and that he will keep pushing forward with it.
The mail survey was conducted between Nov. 19 and Dec. 10 last year. Of the 3,000 randomly selected residents between the ages of 15 to 74 whom the survey targeted, 1,265 gave valid responses.