Asa seaweed, known as sea lettuce, is usually harvested from January to March, when it washes up on the shores of Okinawa, where people collect it using a strainer. The most popular location to harvest asa is around Ojima-island during the low tide. It’s then washed clear and usually used for tempura or soup. Dried “asa” is commonly sold in local grocery stores.
(For 4 persons)
- 10g dry asa
- 1/2 block of tofu
- 800cc bonito soup
- Salt and soy sauce to taste
- Soak asa in cold water about 10 minuets and wash.
- Bring bonito soup to boil.
- Chop tofu into small cubes and mix in the boiling soup with asa.
- Add salt and soy sauce to taste.