Madara no nitsuke – Simmered cod in sweet soy sauce
For my English husband, if we have cod, he might say we should have ‘fish and chips’ but my choice would be nitsuke. I like fish and chips but I must say this is a much healthier option. This recipe is so easy to cook and this dish goes really well with plain rice. If you are looking for a simple Japanese dish for dinner, this is the perfect recipe.
To serve 2
- 2 cod fillets
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tbs mirin (sweet sake) and soy sauce
- 2 tbs sake
- 2 tbs sugar
- 3 slices of ginger
1. Pour water in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Add mirin, soy sauce, sake, sugar and ginger into the saucepan and mix well.
3. Place the cod fillets in the saucepan and cook on a low heat.
4. The dish is done when the sauce mixture is reduced to half.