Anko Dango – Red bean paste with rice cake
I love Japanese deserts made with rice cake. I also love making them because they are so easy to make. This time my two-year-old daughter helped me making balls and we had a really fun time together making this desert. If you like rice cake but have never made one, this recipe is a good one to start with.
To make 4 sticks
- 3 ½ oz rice cake flour (mochiko, もち粉)
- 5 ½ tbs water or equivalent to 80% of the cake flour amount
- 3 oz red bean paste (koshian, こしあん)
- 4 bamboo sticks
1. Place the rice cake flour into a bowl and add water.
2. Mix the flour and water until the mixture becomes soft. The mixture should be soft and smooth and should not stick to your hand. If it does, add a little more flour and adjust.
3. In a saucepan, bring plenty of water to a boil. Meanwhile make small bite size balls.
4. Put the balls to boil in the saucepan. At first, the rice cake balls will stay on the bottom of the water but then come to the surface. When that happens, cook one more minute.
5. Pour some cold water into a bowl to cool down the rice cake balls. Take out the cooked balls and place them in a bowl.
6. Skewer three balls on one stick (so they’re in a line) and place red bean paste on the balls.
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 1414-61 Sobe, Yomitan Village, Okinawa 904-0304. Closed on Sundays.