Zōni – Broth with rice cake for New Year
Zōni is a soup Japanese people eat at New Year. The main thing in the soup is mochi, rice cake, and typically it also includes vegetables such as daikon radish, shiitake mushrooms and carrots. This soup is very different depending on the region or even the household. My mom always made this soup on New Year’s Day. My home tradition was we sat at the table and my parents asked me my aspirations for that year. Then we ate Osechi, New Year food, and Zōni soup. This recipe uses a readymade broth to make it easy. It is really simple to make if you have the right ingredients. So please try!
- 1/3 carrot, cut into strips
- 1-inch piece of daikon radish, cut into strips
- 3.5 oz chicken thigh, cut into small bite-size
- 3 rice cakes (mochi)
- Readymade broth, as in the picture of ingredients
- Japanese parsley (三つ葉) for garnish
- Citron (ゆず) skin for garnish
- 2.5 cups water
1. Place the carrot, daikon radish and chicken In a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Skim the foam from the surface.
2. Cook about 10 minutes until the vegetables and chicken are cooked.
3. Add the readymade broth. Depending on brand, the ratio of water to broth is different. Unless you are using a straight type broth (where you don’t need to add water), it is difficult to know how much water you need to add so add the broth little by little. (The one in the picture has a ratio of 1 broth ro 9 water)
4. Grill the rice cakes until the mochi becomes soft. I used a toaster and cooked 4 minutes at a 1200 W setting.
5. Add the rice cakes to the soup and cook for a few minutes to make the cakes soft and tender.
6. Garnish with Japanese parsley and citron skin on top.
Get friends and family together!
Experience local culture through food. Fun and great learning experience which lastss forever.
Make your own group for a private cooking class.
Let’s roll sushi class ¥5,000 per person
Okinawa soba-making class ¥5,000 per person
Japanese soba-making class ¥4,500 per person
Gyoza / miso soup class ¥4,000 per person
Japanese curry class ¥5,000 per person
You can choose a date and time you like. Minimum 4 people to sign up.
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 1414-61 Sobe, Yomitan Village, Okinawa 904-0304. Closed on Sunday.