Akajiso Juice – Red perilla juice
This juice is very seasonal as you can only find red perilla leaves early summer. When I start to see red perilla leaves at markets, it makes me feel the arrival of summer. Every year, I buy a few bunches of them and make this juice. I love the beautiful bright pink color and the fresh and sour taste.
• 11 oz red perilla leaves
• 1.5 oz citric acid
• 30 oz sugar
• 9 cups water
1. Remove the leaves from the stalks and wash them thoroughly.
2. Bring a big saucepan of water to boil and place the red perilla leaves in the boiling water.
3. Cook for 20 minutes and drain the water using paper towels as a filter.
4. While the juice is hot, add the sugar then the citric acid and mix well.
5. Sterilize a container and pour the juice in.
6. When you drink the juice, you need to mix it with water – 1 part water: 3 parts red perilla juice. You can add more or less water according to your preference.
-The juice is also nice when mixed with sparkling water.
-You can keep the juice in the fridge over 3 months. But my red perilla juice is gone long before that.
Summer kids cooking workshop
Child – ¥2,500. Adult – ¥3,500
A fun cooking class with kids. Learn and enjoy local food and culture through food!
Main dishes: as-you-like okonomiyaki pancake, yakisoba, kids’ curry
Deserts: kakigoori with homemade syrup, Okinawa doughnuts, purple sweet potato buns.
Individual classes are available – ¥5,000 per class
Japanese soba (buckwheat noodles) class, Tuesday, June 30th
Tempura, miso soup and steamed mixed rice class, Tuesday, July 7th
Japanese style curry class, Tuesday, July 14th
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 862-1 Namihira, Yomitan Village, Okinawa 904-0322 Closed on Sunday