Kyurino Tsukemono – Cucumber with spicy vinegar
When you order a set meal at Japanese restaurants, you often find this kind of small dish. We call these pickled dishes sunomono and also hashiyasume. Hashiyasume means “a dish to rest your chopsticks”. These seasoned-with-vinegar dishes will refresh your mouth between main and side dishes. Japanese people also eat these pickled dishes while they chit-chat over green tea or drink alcohol.
To serve 4
• 2 cucumbers
• 1 to 2 tsp dried chilli (depending on how spicy you like it)
• 2 tbs rice or grain vinegar
• 1 tbs sesame oil
• 1 tsp brown sugar or light brown sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 1 plastic bag
1. Wash the cucumbers and cut them into small chunks.
2. Put all the ingredients into a plastic bag and mix them well.
3. Leave for one hour to give the cucumber pieces time to soak up the flavor, and it’s done. Very simple and easy.
Make Your Own Group Class
A cooking class is a perfect activity for family and friends! Why not make a day cooking delicious local food. Experience local culture through food.
Okinawa Soba group class / Let’s roll-sushi class from ¥5,000.
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 862-1 Namihira, Yomitan village, Okinawa 904-0322 Closed on Sunday