Beniimo Mushian – Steamed purple sweet potato bun
This is a cute and quick snack for everyone. I make this sweet more often than bake muffins because it is quicker to cook and leaves less equipment to wash up. You can make this with normal sweet potatoes but if you can find a purple one, why not use it, it makes really beautiful buns.
(to make 6 to 8 buns)
• 1 small purple sweet potato
• Half cup weak or cake flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup light brown or brown sugar
• 1/3 milk
• 1 tbs butter or vegetable oil
• Pinch of salt
• Silicon cups
1. Peel the skin off the purple sweet potato and cut into small cubes. Leave them on the side.
2. Break an egg in a bowl and beat well. Then add sugar and a pinch of salt
3. Add butter into the bowl and mix well.
4. Add the flour and baking powder into the bowl and add 2/3 of the sweet potatoes, then mix gently.
5. Pour the mixture into silicon cups. Fill the cups to about 2/3 full. Place the rest of the diced sweet potatoes on the top of the mixture.
4. Place the cups in a steam cooker or make a double boiler. This time, I used a big frying pan and a flat bamboo sieve. Pour some water into the frying pan and place the bamboo sieve in the frying pan and put the silicon cups in. Then steam for 10 minutes.
Make Your Own Group Class
A cooking class is a perfect activity for family and friends! Why not make a day cooking delicious local food. Experience local culture through food.
Okinawa Soba group class / Let’s roll-sushi class from ¥5,000.
Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.school.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 862-1 Namihira, Yomitan village, Okinawa 904-0322 Closed on Sunday