Mozuku Yamakake – Seaweed with Chinese yam
Mozuku is in season! Mozuku is a type of seaweed, which is really popular in Okinawa. It can be found naturally in Okinawan ocean during this season. You can make tempura with it as well but this is my favorite way to enjoy seasonal mozuku. The taste is so fresh and I love the kick of vinegar.
To serve 4
• 50g mozuku seaweed
• Thumb length Chinese yam, grounded
• Thumb length of cucumber
• Ginger for garnish
• 2 tbs rice vinegar
• 2 tbs soy sauce
• 2 tsp mirin
• 1 tbs sugar
1. Wash the mozuku and cut into lengths easy to eat
2. Slice the cucumber and cut thin and small about size of match.
3. Place the mozuku in a bowl and add rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin and sugar and mix well.
4. Dish up the mozuku in small bowls and place cucumber and Chinese yam on the top.