Jushi – steamed rice with mixed vegetables
Jushi is one of the most popular Okinawan dishes. There is a similar dish in mainland Japan, but using pork belly among the ingredients makes this steamed rice meal quite unique to Okinawa. If you have a rice cooker at home, that is great! You can just prepare the ingredients and simply turn on the cooker. If you don’t have the rice cooker, don’t worry, this recipe is still easy. You will see how easy it is to cook Japanese rice at home.
(To serve 3 to 4 persons)
• 3 oz pork belly
• ½ carrot
• 2 to 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
• 2 inches kelp
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon mirin (sweet sake)
• 1 tablespoons sake
• Pinch of salt
1. Wash the rice and leave it in a sieve for 30 minutes to an hour. Soak the dried mushrooms and kelp in 1½ liters of water in a bowl for over hour.
2. Place the pork belly into a saucepan and add water. The water should cover the pork belly. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. When the pork belly has cooled down enough to touch, cut it into small cubes. Leave the water in the saucepan as it is added to the sauce to cook the rice in (instead of plain water).
4. Cut off the stems the soaked shiitake mushrooms and slice the caps. Slice the kelp into thin, thumb-length strips.
5. Slice the carrot into the same size as the kelp.
6. Place the rice into a rice cooker or saucepan. Add all the water used to soak the mushrooms and kelp. Also add ½ cup of the remaining pork belly cooking water.
7. Add the rest of the ingredients, soy sauce, mirin and sake, and salt to taste.
8. Turn on the rice cooker! If you are cooking with a hob, turn on the cooker at a medium heat. Once the rice starts boiling, simmer for 20 minutes and then turn off the cooker. Leave the saucepan for 15 minutes to sit and it your jushi dish is now done.
If you want to learn more about cooking Japanese food, don’t forget to check out my regular cooking classes! Website: andys-workshop.com/cookery.html Facebook: facebook.com/cooking.with.nao Tel: 098-955-5311 Address: 862-1 Namihira, Yomitan village, Okinawa 904-0322 Class times: Let’s Roll! – Sushi and Home Cooking: both classes take 2.5 hours Class starts: 10:00 and 13:30. Closed on Sundays, Bookings and inquiries: 10:00 to 20:00